Type in your email address below to follow my blog.. in your email!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Mommy's first day

So today was the big day. First day at the Raleigh ISC office. First day back to work. First day Cadence had to go to school.

Preparing for a three month old to be away from mom for eight hours is an act of congress. It took forever (two and a half hours on Sunday night, plus some time on Saturday evening). I labeled all of her bottles with her specific color (orange), and put her name on them. Of course I ordered special labels for this task. You know that colored electrical tape and a sharpie would not suffice for me.

I prepared her pre-labeled bottles. 1. Make surre the date on the bottle is the date for daycare. 2. Make sure each bottle has the same amount of milk. I have a great freezer supply (three gallon size bags full of smaller frozen bags of milk). So I pulled out a few bags from November (frozen breastmilk is good for 6 months in a deep freezer) and had them de-thawed. On the first day, she received 4 bottles with 3-4 oz in each one. This was enough for her first day, a full 8 hours. 3. Make sure the bottles all have nipples and tops. 4. store them in the fridge until first thing in the morning, take them out and put them in a thermal bag to travel to school.
I also packed her first day bag for items for her "cubby" which included a change of clothes, 100 diapers, sensitive wipes, and two paci's. The daycare has enough toys, mats, music and a crib designated for each child.

Her bags were packed and ready to go. She woke me up smiling at 6:45 (talking and smiling the most in the mornings, she's related to her daddy for sure. I assure you, that did NOT come from mommy's gene pool). She had her morning milk and played in her rock-n-play while mommy showered. I swear the child looked at the baby monitor camera (which I was watching while in the bathroom), and grinned - then BLEW UP her diaper. She gets a kick out of the little things. :)

Finally got ready and got everything in the car and drove to daycare. I knew I wouldn't be able to drop her off and leave, so I picked Nana up to help! We carried in all of the goodies and headed to her clasroom. She had no trouble transitioning and didn't cry at all (she was ALL smiles). I had to tell myself it was alright and leave the room quietly. Fighting back the tears as we headed to the door of the daycare, and let them slowly, and quietly roll as I got into the car. Mom gave me a hug and said "she will be okay. you will be okay too". We dropped her off at 9am.

The work day drug on. foooooooorrrrrrrrrrever. Pumping in odd places (Conference room anyone?) I've pumped before, but in the comfort of my pajamas and at my own home. Pumping while in work clothes, in a strange and uncomfortable place is not so exciting. When 4:00 rolled around I was a ball of nerves. Ready to leave durham and pick up my baby. I couldn't get out the door fast enough, couldn't get the GPS set or the car started quickly enough, and I got stuck behind every slow person between durham and daycare. (If I had been in Greenville, this is where I would have gotten stuck at the train for 45 minutes. Diaster!

I finally left Durham at about 4:30 and picked up sweet pea at 5:00. She had enjoyed a stroller ride with her new boyfriend (the little boy that is "mommy's all star' with a football on his hiney, in the crib next to cadence). They were so cute. I called twice during the day, once at lunch and once as I was leaving work.

She was a perfect angel. Took bottles with no difficulty (except once, and it was because she had to belch. Teacher asked if I ever had issues with burping- Cadence doesn't burp easily after feedings, but will store them up and belch like a fraternity boy. I would say she gets that from her daddy, but unfortunately she comes by that honestly from mommy!). She has never slept flat in a crib- and didn't have any issues with that! She smiled and played and enjoyed some cuddle time with her teachers. It was a successful first day!

I am so proud of my little lady- she is growing and learning new things so quickly. It's an amazing miracle! I will post later this week about her upcoming 3 month birthday!


Posted via DraftCraft app

No comments:

Post a Comment